Thursday, August 5, 2010

Taboo: Bugchasing


My friend, Kenny (check out his blog), and I ran across something quite peculiar and strange, but still should be discussed and acknowledged by those who can handle strange and peculiar things. Kenny may have already written a post about this or may be writing one, I don't know, but of course I encourage the reading of his opinion because he is a very sound thinker and I do cherish opinion :)

Bugchasing is the act in which a subculture of individuals who pursue sex with HIV infected individuals in order to contract HIV. These individuals may call themselves "Bugchasers" and their HIV infected sex partners "Gift Givers". These people live their lives paranoid by the worry of being contracted with HIV that they feel it will bring them great relief if they choose to have it.

Bugchasers go to "Bug Parties" (or Conversion) parties: gathering in which they meet Gift Givers in oder to have unprotected sex and to be contracted by the disease. There are even those who mark themselves with visible "negative sign" tattoos in order for the Gift Givers to be able to spot them, and when they have contracted the disease they add a line to the tattoo, having completed his/her, becoming positive.

I do not agree with these actions, personally; although, I can understand their reasoning. I suppose for some people the paranoia of contracting HIV/AIDS can be exhausting. But it is not an ideal that looms over me. I do not wake up in the morning nor do I go to sleep at night wondering, "Hmmm... Did I contract HIV today?" It seems a little exaggerated to me. You may get rid of worry, BUT you gain many more. "Did I take my medication today?" "Oh, no I missed a doctor's appointment." "Oh my, my T cells are dropping." "Goodness, Am I coughing up blood?" "Woe is me, I'm dying of pneumonia!" It seems to me that you've gotten the shorter end of the stick, here. So I think I'll stay negative.

...Yet, to each his own. And if that is what a person decides to choose, that person has his/her right to do so, as long as it is not physically affecting anyone else. Everyone is entitle his/her own destruction. I just hope that later on down the line, there is any regret in doing so.

♥Kimokeo

2 comments:

  1. Actually I have been thinking about doing the post like this, but when I sit down and try to get started, I'm always distracted by something. I'll do one soon enough. I love you post and I still remember our conversation on it. I was thinking to myself "WTF is wrong with these people?", but the more I read the more compassion and sympathy I had for them. The people that live with that looming over their head must have some huge issues. Do you think it's like a phobia? Well how could it be if they go get anyway? Maybe they just want it on THEIR terms and no one elses; it's so weird to me. Like you said "to each his own"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, this is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. But yet I do get it. Even still my heart feels sadness that the persons feel that their only option left for sanity is for the disease to consume them voluntarily rather than with a fight. Such a power HIV/AIDS has over the gay community. I pray that one day, it can be a thing of the past and in the rear view mirror with the discovery of a beta vaccine for HIV being tested in Africa on their women. Smh. A gift, no that's just giving up. Poor souls.

    ReplyDelete