Saturday, September 25, 2010

DADT: Who's Asking You To Tell?



I had been meaning to post about this topic in particular days ago, but I have been procrastinating. Yet after viewing Lady Gaga’s appeal on YouTube and reading some of the most ignorant comments, I was forced to take to my keyboard and write what I felt needed to be said.

“Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” was introduced in 1993 as a compromise measure, as a promise to allow all citizens to serve in the military, but in my opinion it is a false promise. DADT is promising, “Yes, any citizen of America can serve in the military, as long as that citizen appears to be heterosexual.” which is also saying, “If you are not heterosexual or if you do not appear to be heterosexual, you may not serve in the military.” OR “If we, the government, become aware of your homosexuality you may no longer serve in the military no matter your rank, no matter your service, no matter your right to do so as an American citizen.”

These homosexuals who serve their country with pride and humility, I believe, do not wish to be view as homosexuals at war but as soldiers, servants of their country because it is their born right to do so with the same gratification as any heterosexual soldier. It becomes a problem and most certainly a concern, if a soldier who has served his or her country faithfully for twenty years is discharged because of a shear moment of honesty, but does one truth make all the other truths false. Does the truth of homosexual overshadow the other truths that have lead a soldier to the ranking position he or she were in before being discharge for homosexuality. Men and women grow up from boys and girls, sons and daughters of fellow American citizens, with dreams to serve their country. They have practiced and trained and meditated and prayed for the day to wear that hallowed uniform only for it to be snatched away from them because of their sexuality, a truth they did not ask for, did not pray for, did not train and work many seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years for.

It is apparent that America’s priories are misplaced and directed into the wrong brackets of society.

If you have not taken a moment to view Lady Gaga’s appeal I ask you to do so, and open your mind and your heart to what it truly means to be an American. It is not our job to force people to believe the beliefs that we believe, but it is our job be sure that they are aware and that we get our point across.


♥Kimokeo

2 comments:

  1. I already saw Lady Gaga's video a while back. I commend her that she is essentially the only one in entertainment to fully support the LGBT community. I love her that much more for it. Yes, I absolutely agree Kimo. It's the same thing as not helping the fact the you or I are black. It's just ludicrous to think that a person should have to suppress their truth at all costs or face total abandonment from their life's calling. America must do better by ALL its citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chile, America is just so fucking ignorant. If I was in the military for 20+ years and all of a sudden It's discovered that I'm gay, what changes? I'm the same person, only thing that becomes different is that you know what sex I'm attracted to. My skills don't change, the fact that I'm a good solider doesn't change. It's just like learning I have a pair of black jeans in my close; It has nothing to do with you so why are you so worried about it? I wish An alien would come take me to their planet. They can't be this stupid.

    ReplyDelete